- H1 2019 results reflect excellent operational execution: lowest cost of cultivation per gram among publicly reporting Canadian LPs, industry-leading adjusted gross margin and adjusted EBITDA (positive adjusted EBITDA for 3rd consecutive quarter in Q2 2019)
- On track to increase target production capacity to 113,000 kg/year by the end of 2019
- Well-positioned for Canada’s new edibles and derivative legalization expected in October 2019 with expanding production capacity, R&D and various strategic partnerships
- Invested in biosynthesis to produce cannabinoids without growing the plant at a fraction of cultivation costs
- Focused on developing further international partnerships, prioritizing the CBD market
Organigram Holdings Inc. (TSX.V: OGI) (NASDAQ: OGI) is the parent company of Organigram Inc., a leading Canadian licensed producer (“LP”) of high-quality cannabis and extract-based products. Founded in 2013, Organigram is focused on producing high quality, indoor-grown cannabis for patients and adult recreational consumers in Canada, as well as developing international business partnerships to expand the Company’s global footprint.
The Company has distribution arrangements in all 10 provinces. Organigram delivers industry-leading yields and maximizes quality cannabis production at the lowest cultivation cost per gram among publicly reporting Canadian LPs.
In Q2 2019, the Company reported record net revenue of C$26.9 million, cash cost of cultivation of C$0.65 per gram, industry leading gross margin of C$16 million or 60% and adjusted EBITDA of C$13.3 million or margin of 49%, positive for the third consecutive quarter.
Significant Expansion Plans with Streamlined Licensing Process
Located in Moncton, New Brunswick, Organigram’s production facility and research & development program includes a state of the art, indoor 3-tier cultivation system which maximizes facility square footage. Its Phase 4 expansion project is expected to be completed by the end of 2019 for increased target production capacity of 113,000 kg/year (249,000 lbs.). As the Company expands its cultivation and processing capacities, Organigram is able to file amendments to the existing facility and each new production area is largely a replica of previously licensed areas, which results in a relatively streamlined and predictable licensing process with Health Canada.
In addition to increased production capacity from Phase 4, Organigram’s Phase 5 expansion includes plans for additional extraction capacity and its own edibles facility. Construction is expected to be substantially completed in October 2019.
The Company’s indoor facility allows for control of all critical facets of the lighting and environmental elements to drive maximum quality and yield in the plants. The Company’s in-house proprietary information technology system, called OrganiGrow, tracks grow cycles, environmental conditions and other factors to optimize cultivation.
Numerous design and automation improvements include automated potting, pre-roll and packaging machines, and larger propagation rooms with advanced environmental systems.
Well Positioned for Canada’s Legalization of Edibles and Other Derivatives Products
Through its facility expansions, partnerships and research and development, the Company is well-positioned to capture further growth from the legalization of edibles and derivative products expected in October 2019. Its initial product focus is on vaporizable products and edibles.
Organigram’s development of a shelf-stable, thermally stable, water-soluble and tasteless cannabinoid nano-emulsion formulation may provide for an initial onset of effect within 10 to 15 minutes in a beverage. Non-cannabis formulations with a similar molecule size are water-soluble in humans (i.e., absorbed through the bloodstream rather than requiring first-pass liver metabolism, which results in longer onset and duration uncertainty). The Company expects to receive research and development licensing in the near term, at which point testing will be conducted to confirm the onset and duration.
Organigram has entered into an exclusive consulting agreement with The Green Solution (TGS), a proven market leader based in Denver, Colorado for the development of commercial scale extraction and derivative product development in Canada. Organigram’s partnership with Canada’s Smartest Kitchen, a leader in food product development, will expand the Company’s edibles R&D program.
The Company recently announced a C$15 million investment commitment in a high-speed, high-capacity, fully automated production line with a capacity of 4 million kilograms of exceptional chocolate cannabis edibles per year.
Organigram also has a multiyear extraction contract with Valens GroWorks Corp. to produce extract concentrate for oils and other derivative products.
Through its partnership with Hyasynth Biologicals Inc., a biotech company and leader in the field of cannabinoid science and biosynthesis, Organigram has invested in a potentially disruptive technology that uses patented yeast strains and enzymes to naturally produce cannabinoids without growing the cannabis plant. This process has the potential to create a global supply of pure cannabinoids at a fraction of the cost of traditional cultivation. Organigram views this investment as providing early access to what it expects to be the future of cannabinoid production – cost-effectiveness, purity and scalability.
Organigram believes there will be increasing demand for CBD in Canada and beyond. As such, the Company has invested in Alpha-Cannabis Germany (ACG) and expects to provide ACG with flower for conversion into extracts. ACG is a medical cannabis provider serving the largest legalized medical market in Europe. The Company anticipates entering into an agreement with ACB to purchase pure synthetic CBD isolate in the future.
Organigram is also invested in Eviana Health Corp. (CSE: EHC), a Serbian-based company with hemp farming and processing assets.
Experienced Executive Team
- CEO Gregory Engel has 30 years of national and international experience in pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, cannabis, and consumer packaged goods (CPG), and most recently served as CEO of Tilray Inc. where he was instrumental in the company becoming the first Canadian exporter of medical cannabis, as well as establishing several trailblazing industry standards
- Jeff Purcell, Senior Vice President of operations, has 25 years of experience in operations for companies such as Ganong Chocolates and McCain Foods
- Tim Emberg, Senior Vice President of Sales and Commercial operations, has 20 years of experience in pharmaceutical sales and marketing in the OTC and CPG industries
- Paolo DeLuca, Chief Financial Officer, has 20 years of diversified financial business experience including with West Face Capital and TD Securities
- Ray Gracewood, Senior Vice President, Marketing & Communications, has 15 years of experience in the marketing space and was senior Director of Dales and Marketing for Moosehead Breweries Ltd.
This profile contains certain non-IFRS performance measures including cash and all-in cost of cultivation per gram, net revenue, adjusted EBITDA, and adjusted gross margin which are not calculated in accordance with IFRS and may not be comparable to similar data presented by other companies. Please see the company’s Q2 2019 MD&A.
For more information, visit the company’s website at www.Organigram.ca
NOTE TO INVESTORS: The latest news and updates relating to OGI are available in the company’s newsroom at http://nnw.fm/OGRMF
NetworkNewsWire (NNW) is an information service that provides (1) access to our news aggregation and syndication servers, (2) NetworkNewsBreaks that summarize corporate news and information, (3) enhanced press release services, (4) social media distribution and optimization services, and (5) a full array of corporate communication solutions. As a multifaceted financial news and content distribution company with an extensive team of contributing journalists and writers, NNW is uniquely positioned to best serve private and public companies that desire to reach a wide audience of investors, consumers, journalists and the general public. NNW has an ever-growing distribution network of more than 5,000 key syndication outlets across the country. By cutting through the overload of information in today’s market, NNW brings its clients unparalleled visibility, recognition and brand awareness. NNW is where news, content and information converge.
To receive instant SMS alerts, text STOCKS to 77948
For more information please visit https://www.NetworkNewsWire.com